WARDROBE 101: THE EYES HAVE IT

 Seeing really is believing. Turn your optical impairment into a visual statement


My Tom Ford tortoiseshell glasses (above) and the
Barton Perreira Stokely black  frames (below) … two of the many pairs from my collection
  
NOT sure if youve noticed but I come up a bit short in the eyesight department. Yes, Im shortsighted. I was first diagnosed in the mid ’80s and have worn glasses since. 

I tried contacts once, but they werent for me. Just couldnt master the art of putting them in my eyes every day. Then taking them out every night!  But a far worse crime: they just didnt work with my wardrobe!!!!




Once regarded the domain of the nerd, glasses have become the economy of cool. They are an accessory and, as a consequence, I cant just stop at one pair. I have a collection – a dozen spectacles frames and a dozen sunglasses – in a variety of shapes, styles and textures.

Glasses to me are like shoes and handbags are to other women. Dont get me wrong. I love my shoes and bags as well. But glasses allow me to express my personality as they complement all my wardrobe needs. And, remember, frames are also subject to the latest in style dictates. So choose styles that will aid – and add to – your wardrobe. 

However, Im always on the lookout for new brands and styles. My optometrist – Sue Green – at Optique in Double Bay takes care of all my optical wants and needs. Some of my favourite brands include Barton Perriera, Cutler and Gross, Tom Ford, Alain Mikli, Linda Farrow and Oliver Goldsmith. But there are many, many more brands out there. 

Recently, I stumbled across US brand, Warby Parker. I love their vintage-inspired spectacles and sunglasses designs, such as the Duckworth (my personal favourite), the Winston, Preston and Wheeler.

The Preston in Red Canyon
The Wheeler sunglasses in Revolver Black

Their new Palm Canyon collection features a hand-mixed acetate – a process that took more than a year to perfect. And no two pairs are alike – something which appeals to my style aesthetic.

However, if youre not sure about a particular style, you can try on frames virtually. Upload a picture of yourself – sans glasses – and see if they suit your face shape. Its great fun!

And if you buy a pair of Warby Parker glasses you are contributing to a good cause. They are building a company that gives backFor every pair of glasses they sell, a pair is given to someone in need. And this summer they reached a milestone; more than 500,000 pairs of glasses have been distributed! 

Now thats worth celebrating.

Do your glasses aid – and add – to your wardrobe? Do you wear them as accessories?  
Or do you only have a pair and spare? Would love to hear from you.


Labels: , , ,