RESEARCH, RECONNAISSANCE and REWARD: THE RULES OF RETAIL THERAPY

The advent of a new season is a bit like a shiny new toy promising new inspiration, new ideas and a new energy


Picture: Pinterest

AUTUMN is one of my favourite times of the year. Those months when the days get a little shorter and the evenings a little cooler heralding the onset of winter. 

The season is a call to action to prepare for the colder months ahead and take solace in the comfort of those trusty old friends  the jumpers, the gloves, the scarves, the jackets and the boots. But for me, the thought of reacquainting with the dark sombre tones of my winter wardrobe is what excites me most. 

I do love summer; the warmth of the sun on my skin and wearing fewer clothes. But after about five months or so I get bored with seeing the same garments hanging in my wardrobe, not to mention wearing them. It’s a bit like “familiarity breeds contempt”.

A new season is also about research, reconnaissance and reward. I browse my favourite magazines (both print and online) for new season trends before deciding on what deserves to hang in my wardrobe. It’s a feast of the sartorial senses and it’s fun! After all, fashion should be fabulous and fun. 

However, before you treat yourself to a spot of retail therapy, what every woman needs is to remember these 10 commandments and you can’t go wrong. 

  THE RULES OF RETAIL THERAPY
1: Know what works for you
2: Dress for yourself, not anyone else
3: Wear your clothes with confidence
4: Embrace your individual style
5: Dont be a slave to the latest trends
6: Dont be afraid to break the rules – sometimes
7: Dress to suit your age
8: Dress to suit your shape
9: Always look appropriate
10: Own your look

So before you head out the door, what commandments do you abide by? 
Do you have any rules of your own? Want to share?

Labels: , , ,